Friday, November 4, 2011

My ONLY Child?

This morning, I could not sleep from pondering the phrase "His only begotten Son." I thought, my, how significant it was for God to give his only begotten Son.

Just thinking of the significance of a son to society: The son is the heir to everything; the inheritance is his. He is the continuation of the legacy, the family name. How precious and highly valued are our sons to us! This thought went a step further in my mind to the distinctiveness of the first born son. In the Bible, the first born son in addition to being heir of the inheritance also received the blessing. With all the significance place on the first born son, I think it's incredible that God was willing to sacrifice his.


I love all four of my children dearly. If I had to choose one to be lost, I couldn't. Could you? I don't think anyone could. So for God to sacrifice his ONLY begotten Son is amazing. What a great and marvelous love he must have for us to be willing to show us this amount of mercy and grace, even in our sin.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment